Beta release 4.61.1

René Berber r.berber at computer.org
Sun Jun 3 21:50:48 IST 2007

Rick Cooper wrote:

> So I would question the list on what they think would be the least confusing
> explaination here:
>
> # Note: If the "Run As User" is not "root" then you cannot change the
> #       user but may still be able to change the group, if the
> #       "Run As User" is a member of both of the groups "Run As Group"
> #       and "Incoming Work Group".
> # Note: If the "Run As User" is "root" (or not set at all) and you are
> #       using the "clamd" virus scanner (, then this must be set:
> #       Incoming Work Group = clamav
> #       Incoming Work Permissions = 0640
> Incoming Work User =
> Incoming Work Group =
>
> If you are running clamd as root, this is moot. If you are dropping
> privleges then this would need set to the clamd user (not necessarily
> clamav, but would be the recommendation from the docs IIRC).
>
> How about:
>
> 	# Note: If the "Run As User" is not "root" you cannot change the
> 	#	 user but may still be able to change the group, if the
> 	#	 "Run As User" is a member of both of the groups "Run As
> Group"
> 	#	 and "Incoming Work Group"
> 	# Note: If the "Run As User" is "root" (or not set at all) and you
> are
> 	#	 using the "clamd" virus scanner AND clamd is dropping
> privileges
> 	#	 (not running as root), then this must be set to the group
> clamd
> 	#	 is using (from your clamd.conf), example:
> 	#	 Incoming Work Group = clamav
> 	#	 Incoming Work Permissions = 0640
> 	Incoming Work User =
> 	Incoming Work Group =

The last one is clearer.

I think it would be even better if the notes where done as "use cases", for
instance for the last note: 'For using "clamd" as virus scanner, if "Run as
User" is "root", or not set at all, but clamd is configured to drop privileges
(not running as root), then you must set the work group to the one used by
clamd; example ...'
--
René Berber