How to store and delete a message

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Fri Jun 1 18:17:06 IST 2007

Jason Gottschalk spake the following on 6/1/2007 9:46 AM:
> Hello Glenn,
> Friday, June 1, 2007, 3:38:24 AM, you wrote:
> Glenn> On 01/06/07, Jason Gottschalk <Jason at syo.com> wrote:
>>> Hello Scott,
>>>
>>> Just one account, actually.
>>>
>>> I figured it out.
>>>
>>> I have to use two rules. The first issue was that I didn't realize
>>> there was a "non spam" item in the mailscanner.conf file until Julian
>>> pressed the issue. I found that the "non spam" was set to "store
>>> deliver" rather than a ruleset.
>>>
>>> So I changed it to a ruleset and then placed my rule in there to
>>> delete the message.
>>>
>>> So here is what I have now, which, btw, is precisely what I was looking
>>> for.
>>>

>>> nonspam.action.rules:
>>> From:Him at HisDomain.com delete
>>> FromOrTo: Default Store Deliver
>>>
>>> Archive.Rules:
>>> FromOrTo: Him at HisDomain.Com /sites/hisdomain/mail/approve/mbox
>>> FromOrTo: Default
>>>

>>> So now I get what I want, his e-mail is stored for administrative
>>> approval before it is released. (There is a script that puts the
>>> message in /var/spool/mqueue after it is approved.)
>>>
> Glenn> Just one thing... Archive Mail archives _everything_,spam and viruses as well.
> Glenn> Since you store every message, you could have worked with the
> Glenn> quarantine (the nonspam subdirectory) instead... And if you use
> Glenn> MailWatch, you would have a nice tool to view the mails under review
> Glenn> too:-).
>
> Can you explain this more? It sounds brilliant, but I don't follow
> you.
>
> I started storing every message because bayes_99 suddenly started
> marking 20% of the ham as spam, I need a way to find and release my
> customers e-mail after it had been marked as spam.
>
> Are you saying if I turned that off, the only messages showing up in
> quarantine would be Him at Hiusdomain.cmo and those with a virus?

On my systems, I have a store directive in every spam/non-spam action. With
mailwatch I can view / release / re-learn everything I keep there. You can
also set it to only keep X number of days in the quarantine. So I have room to
keep 30 days worth of messages. If they haven't come looking for it by then,
off to the bit bucket it goes.
Archive mail is more for the permanent archival of messages. Maybe by a legal
requirement, or for whatever other reason.

--

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and