DNS Question

Kevin Miller Kevin_Miller at ci.juneau.ak.us
Tue Jul 31 17:15:45 IST 2007

UxBoD wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am attempting to setup our own RBL (that bit has gone fine) but on
> the DNS servers I need to define a subdomain.  I have in out
> db.example.com the following :-
>
> $TTL 172800     ; 2 days
> $ORIGIN example.com.
> @                       IN SOA  ns1.example.com.
>                                 root.ns1.example.com. ( 2007073108 ;
>                                 serial 900        ; refresh (15
>                                 minutes) 300        ; retry (5
>                                 minutes) 604800     ; expire (1 week)
>                                 2592000    ; minimum (4 weeks 2 days)
>                                 )
>                         NS      ns1
>                         NS      ns2
>
>                         MX      5 mail
>
> ... <All the A records> ...
>

> $ORIGIN dnsrbl.example.com.
>                         IN      NS      rblserver.example.com.
>
> If I do a dig against example.com I get back ns1 and ns2.  But if I
> do a dig against dnsrbl.example.com I get nothing.
>
> What is wrong with my syntax ?
>
> Regards,

It's been ages since I played with DNS so I'm pretty fuzzy, but do you
actually have a host named rblserver.example.com?  Don't know that it
needs to be a separate box from your main dns, but it needs an a record
at the least.  You don't show enough of your configuration to know -
"All the A records" is a bit vague...

...Kevin
155 South Seward Street     ph: (907) 586-0242
Juneau, Alaska 99801        fax: (907 586-4500