Watermarking quirks still in 4.62.8

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Mon Jul 30 17:32:27 IST 2007

Randal, Phil spake the following on 7/30/2007 5:28 AM:
> A couple of issues with watermarking:
>
> 1: Read receipts are getting blocked ("spam(no null-header or sender
> address)")
>
> 2: If I send an email from outside to a non-existent email address here,
> the bounce message from our Exchange server gets blocked.  I've worked
> around this using a ruleset, but shouldn't MailScanner be letting
> through bounces originating from the internal network (or RFC1918
> addresses) anyhow?

You really need to have the first point of contact in your network do the
checks for non-existing users. Otherwise you risk Joe Jobbing the rest of the
world. It is much better to drop the connection with an error than to bounce
something back to a possibly forged address.

--

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and