query if mailscanner using clamscan

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Sat Jul 28 12:12:47 IST 2007

simon wrote:
> Dear ALL
>
> Really appreciate you guys for all the earlier advise n help
> been so prompt
>
> by the way i still hav doubt about my query regarding mailscanner using
> clamscan
>
> probably was not able to explain myself properly n clearly. sorry for tht
>
> let me be more precise.
>
> as per jules SA+CLAM AV script which says if MAilScanner support for clamd
> (virus scanning daemon ) is required then i do hav to download following
> rpm from dag wiers..
>
> i have followed all the steps required as per the script and also as per
> the replies recived from my earlier postings
> just wanaa know if my settings below confirm that MailScanner is using
> clamav and also support for clamd
>
> now her below r my settings
>

> mailscanner.lint
>
> Read 797 hostnames from the phishing whitelist
> Checking version numbers...
> Version number in MailScanner.conf (4.61.7) is correct.
>
> Checking for SpamAssassin errors (if you use it)...
> SpamAssassin temporary working directory is
> /var/spool/MailScanner/incoming/SpamAssassin-Temp
> SpamAssassin temp dir = /var/spool/MailScanner/incoming/SpamAssassin-Temp
> Using SpamAssassin results cache
> Connected to SpamAssassin cache database
> SpamAssassin reported no errors.
> Using locktype = posix
> Creating hardcoded struct_flock subroutine for linux (Linux-type)
> MailScanner.conf says "Virus Scanners = clamav clamd clamavmodule"

That means you are scanning each message 3 times with the same scanner!
That's silly. Just set it to Virus Scanners = clamd. The MailScanner
- --lint output confirms that your clamd settings are probably right, as
it can talk to the daemon. So just set Virus Scanners = clamd and you'll
be okay.
> Found these virus scanners installed: clamavmodule, clamd
>
> in MailScanner.conf
>
> Virus Scanners = clamav clamd clamavmodule
> virusscanners.conf file
>
> clamav          /usr/lib/MailScanner/clamav-wrapper     /usr/local
> clamd           /usr/lib/MailScanner/clamd-wrapper      /usr/local
> clamavmodule    /bin/false                              /tmp
> are the above settings Ok or do i need to do any changes
>
> really do apprecite your help
>

> regards
>
> simon

Jules