OT - Quck DNS MX question.

Rick Tait rickt at rickt.org
Sat Jul 28 03:07:13 IST 2007

On 7/27/07, Steve Campbell <campbell at cnpapers.com> wrote:

> They got some hotshot rookie Exchange admin to install Exchange on their
> system,
> taking out what they used to have. There was a definite need for something
> on
> site, but I'm not sure Exchange was the best solution. Anyway, he wanted
> us to
> continue being their MX and even hubbing their mailboxes. He then set up
> something like fetchmail to retrieve the mail and put it in their local
> mailboxes. That way, they got the benefit of our MS/Clam/SA etc. It's all
> fine
> except when his fetchmail-whatever script doesn't work, or they get a new
> employee. They keep calling me about the problems and I have to keep
> telling
> them over and over that I don't do that part anymore.

Wow!!! They're getting a sweet deal... What's with the store, store, store,
store-n-forward though? What's wrong with the usual behaviour of you being
/bastion/ MX and then immediately relay via postfix transport map (etc,
sorry dont know what you run) right away? Then you don't have to worry about
storing all their stuff (sucks that you have to do that, as an admin its
just one more thing you could care less about but have to keep an eye on).
And of course they still get the bennies of the MS/Clam/SA. Plus it ain't
your problem Jack if they get mailbombed or DoS'd and its their filesystems
not yours that fill up. Why should you be paying for their disk?

I was doing something similar (free) for a friend/ex-colleague for a long
time and I just eventually got pissed off enough about it to do something.
He was a bit of a crazy type A guy so rather than just tell him to sling his
hook I basically made some crap up (which may or may not be true but I guess
probably is) about my not wanting to be potentially liable under various
tech laws for having stored his company emails on my own servers, and would
rather it be a quick anti-spam/anti-virus scan and then I whizz it off
immediately to his end delivery MTA (Exchange 2000). I mentioned my server
being public and his being private and I think his own paranoia just kicked
in and he quickly arranged his own end such that I was simply  his first-hit
relay and his stuff was no longer being stored on my "public" servers.

-RMT.

-- Vescere bracis meis.