OT - Quck DNS MX question.

Steve Campbell campbell at cnpapers.com
Sat Jul 28 02:17:34 IST 2007

Quoting DAve <dave.list at pixelhammer.com>:

> Steve Campbell wrote:
> > We host a few different outside domains for people as a courtesy. They
> > are usually on older servers, don't require much maintenance, stuff like
> > that.
> >
> > I did have one of them misconfigured, or at least it was that way maybe
> > when I took it over, having an IP instead of a host name with a reverse
> > pointer for the MX record.
> >
> > A local ISP ran a report on  dnsstuff.com reporting all of this terrible
> > stuff in big red boxes and sent it to the office of the company owning
> > the domain. They said they couldn't connect to the domain to send mail.
>
> Ask for a copy of the email headers. If they cannot provide them, ala
> not reproducible, remind your client of the storm window salesmen who
> used to make sales calls in the evening and use a light meter to show
> how "your windows are leaking energy!".
>

> > Now I have ran into this before, ususally because of the reverse record,
> > but mail seems to have always went through to the domain. What kind of
> > SMTP doesn't send mail to such a receiving server? Is that part of how
> > sendmail works also? I believe it was always Exchange that complained.
>
> I've used Postfix, Sendmail, Qmail, and anyone remember EIMS? Never had
> a mail server refuse to send if a MX lookup succeeded, and port 25 answered.
>

> > I always thought it was up to the receiving server to decide on the mail
> > transaction. It sort of POed me the way they threw the scare tactics at
> > these guys at this little company.
>
> Yea, we got a few of those, one who convinces our client's to drop us
> for email and then installs Exchange on the client's location. Funny
> thing, they use us scrub their own incoming mail through our MS install.

The thing is - I really wouldn't mind them leaving. I bend over backwards for
them teaching them how to use their Outlook, and the like.

We have another client who has done that very same thing with Exchange and their
system.

They got some hotshot rookie Exchange admin to install Exchange on their system,
taking out what they used to have. There was a definite need for something on
site, but I'm not sure Exchange was the best solution. Anyway, he wanted us to
continue being their MX and even hubbing their mailboxes. He then set up
something like fetchmail to retrieve the mail and put it in their local
mailboxes. That way, they got the benefit of our MS/Clam/SA etc. It's all fine
except when his fetchmail-whatever script doesn't work, or they get a new
employee. They keep calling me about the problems and I have to keep telling
them over and over that I don't do that part anymore.

Oh well.

Thanks for the reply.

Steve