OT - Quck DNS MX question.

Rick Tait rickt at rickt.org
Fri Jul 27 21:45:02 IST 2007

Agreed. The scare tactics were unecessary. But these sort of issues are kind
of like religion (the vi vs. emacs one I mean). Some people are all like,
"ooooh you must ALWAYS <do something> because if you don't the wrath of
Postel's ghost shall strike thee down from above", whereas in reality things
like this *are* (you're correct) usually handled by the receiving side. Some
MTA's have their own quirks just by design, or through an admin's
temperament/policy thrust down from above; some  require PTR's, or are
fascist about HELO vs. EHLO formatting or they block vs. warn on SPF
records, just like some admins are fascist about how they get their knickers
in a twist about a whole lotta nothing and then broadcast their diatribe to
as many people as they can to try and make their bosses think they're doing
a bang-up job.

</rant>

-RMT.

On 7/27/07, Steve Campbell <campbell at cnpapers.com> wrote:

> I always thought it was up to the receiving server to decide on the mail
> transaction. It sort of POed me the way they threw the scare tactics at
> these guys at this little company.
>
> Thanks
>
> Steve Campbell

-- Vescere bracis meis.