OT - Quck DNS MX question.

Steve Campbell campbell at cnpapers.com
Fri Jul 27 21:29:58 IST 2007

We host a few different outside domains for people as a courtesy. They
are usually on older servers, don't require much maintenance, stuff like
that.

I did have one of them misconfigured, or at least it was that way maybe
when I took it over, having an IP instead of a host name with a reverse
pointer for the MX record.

A local ISP ran a report on  dnsstuff.com reporting all of this terrible
stuff in big red boxes and sent it to the office of the company owning
the domain. They said they couldn't connect to the domain to send mail.

Now I have ran into this before, ususally because of the reverse record,
but mail seems to have always went through to the domain. What kind of
SMTP doesn't send mail to such a receiving server? Is that part of how
sendmail works also? I believe it was always Exchange that complained.

I always thought it was up to the receiving server to decide on the mail
transaction. It sort of POed me the way they threw the scare tactics at
these guys at this little company.

Thanks

Steve Campbell