BarricadeMX experiences

Kai Schaetzl maillists at conactive.com
Fri Jul 27 13:04:51 IST 2007

Ugo Bellavance wrote on Thu, 26 Jul 2007 11:32:14 -0400:

> I've seen a few sites that were running milter-link, milter-ahead,
> greylisting, zen.spamhaus.org at MTA level, and still saw a lot of
> benefit on the resource usage.

I surely would expect that, otherwise it wouldn't make sense to use it. As
BarricadeMX seems to be a combination of the snertsoft milters and some
other techniques in one piece of software there *should* be better
ressource usage *and* better protection. My point was that the original
poster compared that with an almost unprotected system and was very
impressed. He *should* be very impressed, if not the system wouldn't be
worth much. My point is not against BarricadeMX at all, I'm confident it
works very good and is worth the money.
A point I didn't mention is that I think that you still need MailScanner
and a quarantine. My point-of-view is that users should be bothered with
as few spam as possible. You can't achieve that with blocking all high
scoring spam (although I have to admit that most detected spam is high
scoring). There's always a "middle range" where the false positive rate is
too high to just reject them - and I really would not want to just tag
them and send on. Not to mention the other things that MailScanner can do.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany