query if mailscanner using clamscan

simon mailadmin at baladia.gov.kw
Fri Jul 27 07:41:53 IST 2007

Thanks Julian and guys

there was a path mismatch in my MailScanner.conf and clamd.conf file..
its Ok now .. works fine
really do appreciate
but as julian says i dont need 2 .. i mean clamav n clamd as its gonna
scan 2 times with the same virus scanner..

btw all this queries i have been writing is

I ONLY WANT MY INCOMING AND OUTGOIN MAILS TO BE SCANNED BY THE CLAMD
DAEMON as per jules SA+clamav script
the script says

'If you want to use MailScanners support for Clamd (virus-scanning'
echo 'daemon) then I recommend you cancel this script now (press Ctrl-C)'
echo 'and install the RPMs for clamav, clamav-db and clamd from'
echo '     http://dag.wieers.com/rpm/packages/clamav'
echo 'Then re-run this script and tell me that clamscan is installed in'
echo '/usr/bin. This will set up your virus.scanners.conf file for you.'

now i have installed as per the instructions and see that
clamscan is in /usr/bin

my MailScanner.conf file has the following settings
i tried Virus Scanners = auto
and also Virus Scanners = clamav clamd

my virus.scanners.conf settings for clam*
clamav          /usr/lib/MailScanner/clamav-wrapper     /usr/local
clamd           /bin/false                              /usr/local
clamavmodule    /bin/false                              /tmp

Now how do i know if MailScanner support for Clamd (virus-scanning daemon )
is actually working .. which logs will tell me tht

in mailScanner.conf
the setting VirusScanners =auto is fine or i have to say
VirusScanners= clamav clamd
right now having either in my MailScanner.conf file the maillog logs is
the same
does the below line of my logs mean that MailScanner is using clamd ( the
virus scanning daemon )
--------------

Jul 27 09:40:16 kmdnstest MailScanner[7454]: Virus and Content Scanning:
Starting
------------------------------------

apprecite your help pls

here below is my maillog : pls ignore the receipents

Jul 27 09:40:01 kmdnstest sendmail[7463]: l6R6e05H007463:
to=guy20034u at yahoo.com, ctladdr=root (0/0), delay=00:00:01,
xdelay=00:00:00, mailer=relay, pri=30048, relay=[127.0.0.1] [127.0.0.1],
dsn=2.0.0, stat=Sent (l6R6e12k007465 Message accepted for delivery)
Jul 27 09:40:04 kmdnstest MailScanner[7454]: New Batch: Scanning 1
messages, 817 bytes
Jul 27 09:40:16 kmdnstest MailScanner[7454]: Virus and Content Scanning:
Starting
Jul 27 09:40:34 kmdnstest MailScanner[7454]: Uninfected: Delivered 1 messages
Jul 27 09:40:43 kmdnstest sendmail[7481]: l6R6e12k007465:
to=<guy20034u at yahoo.com>, ctladdr=<root at localhost.localdomain> (0/0),
delay=00:00:42, xdelay=00:00:08, mailer=esmtp, pri=120347,
relay=f.mx.mail.yahoo.com. [68.142.202.247], dsn=2.0.0, stat=Sent (ok
dirdel)

Thnaks in advance

Regards

simon

> simon wrote:
>> Dear All,
>>
>> Thanks once again julian..
>> btw i removed virus scanning =auto from my MailScanner.conf file and now
>> have virus scanning = clamav clamd so that i would like mailscanner to
>> clamscan every incommin n outgoin mail message.
>> but now when i restart mailscanner i see in maillogs
>>
> For starters there is no point specifying clamav and clamd as you will
> just be scanning everything twice with the same virus scanner!
>
>> Cannot find Socket (/tmp/clamd) Exiting!
>>
>> if i say service clamd status
>>
>> clamd (pid 1779) is running...
>>
>> so clamd daemon is running
>>
>> really apprecite ur help
>>
> Check to see if the socket /tmp/clamd actually exists, and compare the
> clamd-specific settings in MailScanner.conf with those in clamd.conf.
>

>> Thanks and Regards
>>
>> simon
>>

>>> In which case 'auto' will only use 'clamav'. To find 'clamavmodule' you
>>> must have the module installed. To find 'clamd' the daemon must be
>>> running, and the Clamd-specific MailScanner.conf options must be set
>>> correctly.

>>> Jules
>>>
>>> --
>>> Julian Field MEng CITP
>>> www.MailScanner.info
>>> Buy the MailScanner book at www.MailScanner.info/store
>>>
>>> Need help customising MailScanner?
>>> Contact me!
>>> Need help fixing or optimising your systems?
>>> Contact me!
>>> Need help getting you started solving new requirements from your boss?
>>> Contact me!
>>>
>>> PGP footprint: EE81 D763 3DB0 0BFD E1DC 7222 11F6 5947 1415 B654
>>>

>>> --
>>> believed to be clean.
>>> For all your IT requirements visit www.transtec.co.uk
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Before posting, read http://wiki.mailscanner.info/posting

> Jules
>
> - --
> Julian Field MEng CITP
> www.MailScanner.info
>
> MailScanner customisation, or any advanced system administration help?
> Contact me at Jules at Jules.FM

> For all your IT requirements visit www.transtec.co.uk

> believed to be clean.
> For all your IT requirements visit www.transtec.co.uk