MailScanner and password protected archives

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Wed Jul 25 17:52:58 IST 2007

Kai Schaetzl spake the following on 7/25/2007 5:25 AM:
> Julian Field wrote on Tue, 24 Jul 2007 21:26:57 +0100:
>
>> It will be caught, and logged as an "Other infection" if
>> Allow Password Protected Archives = no
>
> Yeah. The point is that there is no way of releasing it as it doesn't get
> stored, it's handled like a virus. There is also no notification of the
> recipient about this. As I understand if I set "Allow Password Protected
> Archives = yes" it will just slip thru unchecked (at least unchecked for
> spam, clamav may still find a virus signature) which is not desirable.
> There is a good chance that a password protected archive is either spam or
> malware, so I want to stop it for good at the gate, but give any recipient
> the chance to release "good" password protected archives (their choice) as
> there are ones which are not spam or malware.
>
> Kai

Being a password protected archive, wouldn't it be "their choice" to just open
it in the first place if set to "Allow Password Protected Archives = yes"?
It seems an unnecessary step if you are still letting the end user release it.

--

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and