MailScanner and password protected archives

Kai Schaetzl maillists at conactive.com
Wed Jul 25 13:25:20 IST 2007

Julian Field wrote on Tue, 24 Jul 2007 21:26:57 +0100:

> It will be caught, and logged as an "Other infection" if
> Allow Password Protected Archives = no

Yeah. The point is that there is no way of releasing it as it doesn't get
stored, it's handled like a virus. There is also no notification of the
recipient about this. As I understand if I set "Allow Password Protected
Archives = yes" it will just slip thru unchecked (at least unchecked for
spam, clamav may still find a virus signature) which is not desirable.
There is a good chance that a password protected archive is either spam or
malware, so I want to stop it for good at the gate, but give any recipient
the chance to release "good" password protected archives (their choice) as
there are ones which are not spam or malware.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany