BarricadeMX experiences

Richard Lynch rich at mail.wvnet.edu
Tue Jul 24 23:31:11 IST 2007

Res wrote:
> NotDashEscaped: You need GnuPG to verify this message
>
> On Tue, 24 Jul 2007, Stephen Swaney wrote:
>
>> Thanks for listening and feel free to direct queries or flames direct
>> to me
>
> See my comment in previous, have you done two separate tests and what
> are the results?
>
> I'd also hope it can do more than 1K concurrent, It's 8am here, a very
> quiet
> time and currently mx-in-2:~# ps ax | grep -c sendmail
> 604
>
> This figure can easily triple at times.

I gave before and after statistics.  It was the same hardware and with
our volume the input is pretty much the same each day.  The results
speak for themselves.  What were overloaded servers with huge delays now
run fine.  The fact that MailScanner gets fewer messages isn't really
the point other than it improves performance.   Steve is correct, it's
not for everybody.  If your message load is small you probably don't
need it.   There really isn't much else to say about it.   For us the
results were dramatic!

Richard Lynch
WVNET