BarricadeMX experiences

Richard Lynch rich at mail.wvnet.edu
Tue Jul 24 23:13:16 IST 2007

Res wrote:
> NotDashEscaped: You need GnuPG to verify this message
>

> On Tue, 24 Jul 2007, Richard Lynch wrote:
>

>> The graph only shows what made it into the servers.  We're working on
>> a way to include the BarricateMX stats.  Last Friday (before the
>> switchover) the stats were...
>>
>> Ham: 142,860    Spam: 1,202,240    Infected: 137   Total:  1,345,100
>>
>> Yesterday it was....
>>
>> Ham: 160,886  Spam:  45,167   Infected: 32    Total: 206,053
>

> Of course its going to be less if you run somthing else up front.. If
> I ran MIMEDefang on the MTA's,  I'm sure MailScanner would also see
> very little, if any spam or problems.

Yes, of course.  However, MIMEDefang is a sendmail milter.  It consists
of some "C" code glue, and a lot of perl code to do the work.  It is a
content analysis framework that accepts the whole message, analyzes it
with perl, and makes decisions.  That's not the same thing.  As I said
before BMX operates mostly on the behavior rather than the content.
I'd be really surprised if the MIMEDefang approach produced the same
level of performance with deadly accurate results.  If it can I'd like
to see it.  You could do that and post your findings to the list.  I
could be wrong after all.

Richard Lynch
WVNET