BarricadeMX experiences

Richard Lynch rich at mail.wvnet.edu
Tue Jul 24 13:42:56 IST 2007

DAve wrote:
> Richard Lynch wrote:
>>
>> Note: I am not affiliated with Fort Systems Ltd in any way -- only as
>> a satisfied customer.
>
>> I can't say enough about this product.  I'm posting my experiences
>> here because this list is where I first saw the product announcement
>> and I believe any site running MailScanner can benefit from this
>> package.  It's reasonably priced, great support, and can actually
>> save you money with the reduction in hardware alone.  It's also easy
>> to install and easy to take in and out.  They'll also let you demo it.
>> I know this comes off sounding like a sales pitch but it's hard to
>> describe the experience without sounding like one.  It really is an
>> amazing product.
>>

>> Richard Lynch
>> WVNET
>
> How is it doing with the new attachment spams like PDF and XLS?
>
> DAve

It's not gone but it is way down just like everything is way down.  The
cool thing is that this works at the MTA level.  BarricadeMX acts as a
proxy front ending sendmail-in/MS/SA/sendmail-out.  The amazing thing
(well, one of them) is that it detects spam not so much by the content
of the message but by the behavior of the sender.   Spammers don't act
like regular mail severs.   They don't follow protocol standards.  I'm
not going to say anything else about that because, frankly, I have some
fears that I'll teach the spammers how to adjust.   For us, 92%+ of our
mail gets stopped before MS even sees it -- and no one complains.  It's
too good to be true.

See...

http://www.wvnet.edu/getmstat.php

The graph only shows what made it into the servers.  We're working on a
way to include the BarricateMX stats.  Last Friday (before the
switchover) the stats were...

Ham: 142,860    Spam: 1,202,240    Infected: 137   Total:  1,345,100

Yesterday it was....

Ham: 160,886  Spam:  45,167   Infected: 32    Total: 206,053

Fridays are generally lighter than Mondays.  The switchover was done on
Saturday, Jul 21st and so those stats are partial.  Sunday, the 22nd was
the first full day.   Also, one of the five boxes was switched to
BarricadeMX the previous weekend.  We used that as a test in convincing
ourselves that this world work.  The week went great.  We didn't have a
single issue all week long.  No complaints or performance problems.  It
just worked.

Richard Lynch
WVNET