Request for comments

Alex Broens ms-list at alexb.ch
Thu Jul 19 23:25:34 IST 2007

On 7/19/2007 11:56 PM, Alex Neuman wrote:

> Julian Field wrote:
>>
>> I am wondering if it would help if I added "Subject" to the list of
>> things you could use in rulesets.
>>
>> Would it be useful?
>>

> Incredibly so. One of the major headaches for newbies consists of users
> calling in and complaining about "so and so can't send me messages",
> with no means for you to know even the slightest of details.

Does "Can't send" equal "message tagged as spam" or "stuck in quarantine"?

These problems are usually at SMTP level.

> The ability to whitelist, for example, based on Subject or any other
> particular header at the MailScanner level would allow some messages to
> make it through in an emergency. The rule could then be changed so it
> wouldn't be abused.

what of this can't be done already?

Among others, SA can, for example:

whitelist_subject NICE*BLAH
blacklist_subject UGLY*BLAH
header rules
body rules
rawbody rules
full rules
shortcircuiting rules

dunno... I think newbiews (I include myself as well) already have an
arsenal of tools. If these are not thoroughly used, more tools won't
make their life any happier.

whatever... it's Julian's call anyway.

Alex