Request for comments

Ken A ka at pacific.net
Thu Jul 19 20:41:00 IST 2007

Julian Field wrote:

> I am wondering if it would help if I added "Subject" to the list of
> things you could use in rulesets.
>
> Would it be useful?
>
> You would only be able to match against exact strings or regular
> expressions, and I'm not quite sure how I would parse it in the ruleset
> files. Exact strings would be in double-quotes, with '"' characters in
> the string doubled up as a means of escaping them. How I would find the
> end of a regular expression is another matter. I guess it would be
> surrounded with '/' characters, and I would look for the first '/' that
> wasn't preceded by a '\'.
>
> I would have to allow the 'i' on the end of a regexp match at least.
> Matching against a quoted exact string would be a substring match.
>
> It would be available just about anywhere you can use a ruleset, as I
> read the subject line near the point where I read the from and to
> addresses from the envelope.
>
> Multiple "Subject:" lines would be handled by adding them all together
> with a \n newline between each one.
>
> Your comments please....

blacklist, whitelist, or other (new?) rule types that might lend
themselves to a Subject based ruleset? "Subject:" can hold more
information, so potentially be more useful. Nothing much comes to mind
immediately, other than the obvious blacklist. We already use some
subject based rules in the MTA (milter), but having those in a standard
MailScanner ruleset would make maintenance easier. Not sure if anyone
would use it really, but I'm for features that make MailScanner more
flexible. Someone will do something cool with it. :-)
Thanks,
Ken

--
Ken Anderson