Thanks for previous answers + How to stop "cascading" MailScanners from multiple scans?

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed Jul 18 16:50:56 IST 2007

Rick Tait wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Thanks to everyone for their very useful and kind replies to my
> questions the other day regarding whitelisting. All is working very
> well now -- THANK YOU!
>
> I do have another question however.
>
> I have multiple MailScanner boxes on multiple networks, all "backing
> each other up" as secondary/tertiary MX servers, etc. Sometimes
> however, due to the vagaries of routing, up/down circuits etc, it
> comes to pass that an email's route to its final delivery destination
> in our network means that the machine must pass through multiple
> MailScanner boxes. What I am seeing is that MailScanner will scan each
> email, regardless of whether it has already been scanned or not.
>
> My question is this: How do I have MailScanner scan an email just
> once? i.e. If any of the MailScanner headers are already present in
> the email, how do I have the email automatically just passed through?

Every part of an email message can be forged. If MailScanner had a
facility whereby the scanning process could be skipped if a certain
element (e.g. a header) was present, it would be trivial for the
spammers and virus-writers to bypass MailScanner.

So no, you can't do this. And no, you shouldn't try to :-)

The headers are constructed and managed so that multiple MailScanners
leave a tidy trail behind them. We can have messages in our system which
might be scanned by 4 different MailScanner servers quite easily, if a
campus address (2 servers) is .forward-ed to a department address, which
takes it through 2 more (MX and delivery servers).

Jules

- --
Julian Field MEng CITP

Need help customising MailScanner?