How to get e-mail messages from Mail Scanner?

Alex Neuman van der Hans alex at nkpanama.com
Mon Jul 16 19:48:43 IST 2007

Jason Gottschalk wrote:
> Hello MailScanner,
>
> I have a customer that has lost his exchange mailbox. I have been
> archiving mail for this customer for some time. With Filters, I can
> see the e-mail he has sent and received for a long time.
>
> How do I get these messages out of the system so I can import them
> into his outlook?
>
> I can click the "[ ]" and send them one at a time, but that will takes
> years!
>
> any ideas?

Don't know how to do it, but if I had to do it I'd attack the problem
this way:

1. Find a specific set of criteria (could be more than one) to separate
the messages I want from the rest (for example, all messages that have
192.168.x.z in them since they would have been sent from the client's
particular box, plus all messages that say "client at client.com" somwhere
on the same line as the word "From:".
2. Take every file that fits that criteria and copy it somewhere else
(from the quarantine or the archive)
3. Place those files in the MTA's queue (for example, in sendmail it
should be /var/spool/mqueue)
4. ...
5. Profit!

Just kidding about those last two. Anybody here with a better
understanding of the mechanics of MailScanner could tell you if this
would work.