Running clamd as Root?

Paul Hutchings paul.hutchings at mira.co.uk
Mon Jul 16 15:16:32 IST 2007

I appreciate this isn't strictly a MailScanner issue, but as this box is
dedicated to Postfix/MailScanner I thought I'd ask here.

I'd been having awful trouble getting MailScanner to work with clamd
with Postfix as my MTA.  Doubtless due to permissions and my lack of
understanding of how they work in fine detail on *nix.

One suggestion (the simplest) was to simply run clamd as root.

I've done this and it appears to be working, and appears to be an order
of magnitude quicker than using "clamav".

I'd appreciate a sanity check on whether there is any harm in doing
this?

I've checked and clams is only listening on port 3310 on 127.0.0.1

TIA

--
MIRA Ltd.

Watling Street, Nuneaton, Warwickshire, CV10 0TU, England.

Registered in England No. 402570
VAT Registration  GB 114 5409 96

The contents of this e-mail are confidential and are solely for the use of the intended recipient.
If you receive this e-mail in error, please delete it and notify us either by e-mail, telephone or fax.
You should not copy, forward or otherwise disclose the content of the e-mail as this is prohibited.