Feature(s)

Billy A. Pumphrey bpumphrey at woodmclaw.com
Fri Jul 13 15:59:23 IST 2007

> Billy A. Pumphrey wrote:
> >> This functionality (apart from the PST stuff) is already built into
> >> MailScanner, and it's pretty flexible through the use of rulesets.
In
> >> fact, you can do a poor man's version of "archive only nonspam" by
> >>
> > using
> >
> >> it in conjunction with another ruleset on "non spam actions =".
> >>
> >> You can even set it up so that it becomes an IMAP-readable archive
of
> >> your e-mail if you tweak it right.
> >>

> > I mentioned it in my other response, but the only problem still is
for
> > archiving the internal email.
> >
> > If there can be one machine that:
> > - Does what MailScanner does by simply being MailScanner (filter,
> > virus,etc)
> > - Also archive the internal email
> >
> Unfortunately that could only happen if there were a way to tell
Outlook
> to use the MailScanner machine as the outgoing mail server, which you
> *can*, but only if you tell Outlook that your Exchange server is a
> regular IMAP/POP server.
> ... unless your Exchange server is behind a firewall, in which case
you
> could *try* (don't know if it'd work) telling the firewall to make all
> incoming packets on port 25 from machines *other* than the MailScanner
> machine to go *to* the MailScanner machine instead.

The Exchange journal, some people may not know what it is I don't know.
But it is simple a email address that Exchange will forward all of the
emails that it processes.  So every single email will go to this
address.  Then the archive program will receive these emails and do
their thing.  Put them in sql, index them, etc.

So there would actually be duplicates if MailScanner processed mail like
normal and then got all of the messages sent by the journal.  Which
makes me think that this would not work.

Well maybe this was a bad idea, but I don't know unless I ask.