Feature(s)

Alex Neuman van der Hans alex at nkpanama.com
Fri Jul 13 15:35:23 IST 2007

Unfortunately that could only happen if there were a way to tell Outlook
to use the MailScanner machine as the outgoing mail server, which you
*can*, but only if you tell Outlook that your Exchange server is a
regular IMAP/POP server.

Billy A. Pumphrey wrote:
>> This functionality (apart from the PST stuff) is already built into
>> MailScanner, and it's pretty flexible through the use of rulesets. In
>> fact, you can do a poor man's version of "archive only nonspam" by
>>
> using
>
>> it in conjunction with another ruleset on "non spam actions =".
>>
>> You can even set it up so that it becomes an IMAP-readable archive of
>> your e-mail if you tweak it right.
>>

> I mentioned it in my other response, but the only problem still is for
> archiving the internal email.
>
> If there can be one machine that:
> - Does what MailScanner does by simply being MailScanner (filter,
> virus,etc)
> - Also archive the internal email

Unfortunately that could only happen if there were a way to tell Outlook
to use the MailScanner machine as the outgoing mail server, which you
*can*, but only if you tell Outlook that your Exchange server is a
regular IMAP/POP server.
... unless your Exchange server is behind a firewall, in which case you
could *try* (don't know if it'd work) telling the firewall to make all
incoming packets on port 25 from machines *other* than the MailScanner
machine to go *to* the MailScanner machine instead.