switching from clamavmodule -> clamd... source?

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Jul 10 19:00:28 IST 2007

Ugo Bellavance wrote:
> Julian Field wrote:

>>> <answering myself>
>>>
>>> It looks like the source install is overwritten by the RPM.  This
>>> answers my question...
>> The source install by default goes in /usr/local, while the RPMs most
>> often go into /usr/bin, /etc and so on.
>
> You're right.  And if we remove /usr/local/freshclam, MailScanner
> can't update clamav.
Make sure that /etc/MailScanner/virus.scanners.conf points to the right
installation (i.e. /usr or /usr/local). Then it will call
/usr/bin/freshclam for you.

> Anyone really documented all the process of switching from clamav or
> clamavmodule to clamd?  I could do it, if I can gather all the
> information.
I would proceed like this:

1. Make sure you have a sufficiently recent MailScanner installed so
that you have direct support of clamd. Version 4.61.7-2 at least. I
don't believe in running betas once there is a stable release of the
same version.
2. Install ClamAV from the RPMs at dag.wieers.com. You need the correct
builds of clamav, clamav-db and clamd. This way you get the init.d
script for free.
3. Install my ClamAV+SpamAssassin package, telling it not to install
ClamAV. Tell it you ClamAV installation lives at /usr/bin (or /usr, or
/usr/bin/clamscan, it will work out what you meant).
4. Check your clam* entries in /etc/MailScanner/virus.scanners.conf all
point to /usr.
5. Set your "Virus Scanners =" entry in
/etc/MailScanner/MailScanner.conf to include "clamd".
6. Set up the Clamd-specific entries in
/etc/MailScanner/MailScanner.conf to the same values as you use in
/etc/clamd.conf. By default I *think* you can just leave them alone. But
if you are running a system with more than 1 CPU (or more than 1 CPU
core), then switch on "Clamd Use Threads = yes" in MailScanner.conf.
7. chkconfig clamd on
8. service clamd start
9. service MailScanner restart

I'm sure others will correct any mistakes in the above guide.

I have just updated my ClamAV+SA package so that it prints more
instructions to inform your choice of whether you want it to install
ClamAV or not, and tells you where to get the RPMs if you decide to take
that route.

Please can someone add this, and my previous recent HOWTO, to the Wiki
for me?
Thanks guys!

Jules

- --