How to monitor the health of the MailScanner architecture

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 22:52:39 IST 2007

On 09/07/07, Jonas A. Larsen <jonas at vrt.dk> wrote:

> Hi Alistair and Gareth too.
>

> I have used nagios for many years. However if you read my mail again, I
> specifically don't need to know the queue size or the status of the MTA,
> none of those can give you a definitive answer about whether or not mail
> flow is working, I need something that can check if mail is flowing and if
> its delayed.

Um, just script up a snippet that send a mail through to a service
account (use telnet with expect, or perl or whatever... Make that
sending snippet a function/sub/procedure and let it take an argument
servername, then loop through the list of servers.... You know what to
do:-), then use an automated MUA in the same script (whatever you
need) to check that it is received within a reasonable time... Nail
within an expect script would be nice for that last bit ... How hard
can it be:-):-).
You'd have to keep an eye on reasonable timing, and think through how
to report errors...
Could probably be incorporated as a testscript into any monitoring
app... Or run from cron with some reasonable regularity.
Should be fairly easy to write up ... But I'm on vacation, so you do
it yourself;-).

Cheers
--
-- Glenn