How to monitor the health of the MailScanner architecture

DAve dave.list at pixelhammer.com
Mon Jul 9 14:02:47 IST 2007

Jonas A. Larsen wrote:
> Hi Alistair and Gareth too.
>

> I have used nagios for many years. However if you read my mail again, I
> specifically don’t need to know the queue size or the status of the MTA,
> none of those can give you a definitive answer about whether or not mail
> flow is working, I need something that can check if mail is flowing and
> if its delayed.

I simply check for the existence of my normal daily report emails. I
have backups running in the evening, audit reports in the early morning,
ClamAV update results, server health emails, etc. If they stop, I have a
problem. Something is reported nearly every hour of the day.

So simply checking whatever mailbox your reporting arrives in is an
excellent indicator. No reporting show up, MS has an issue or your
entire network is hosed. In which case your pager has already alerted
you to the problem ;^)

DAve

Veterans?