Upgrade question

Ken Goods KGoods at AIAInsurance.com
Fri Jul 6 17:03:53 IST 2007

I am upgrading from MS 4.51.6 to 4.61.7. At the same time I'd like to
upgrade SA and ClamAV using Julian's script.

So far I've ran the MS install script and it seemed to exit without error. I
did not stop MailScanner prior to running the script so I assume 4.51.6 is
still processing mail and appears to be doing so. Next I was going to run
the SA-ClamAV install script but was wondering whether I should stop
MailScanner first and also if I should remove the old versions of SA and
Clam somehow. This is a production box and I really can't afford for it to
be down too long. (I did make backups as instructed in the MAQ but they only
apply to MS and not SA/Clam)

I've put off upgrading due to the horror stories I've been hearing on the
this and clam's list about Clam taking so much time to scan. I understand
that this has been resolved for the most part by using the clammodule or
clamd. Having never ran it that way (I've always gone with the defaults) I'm
not exactly sure how much work is involved. If I leave the Virus Scanners =
auto setting alone will it automatically use the clammodule? Or do I need to
tell it what to use? I also use Bit Defender, will the "auto" setting pick
that up as well? Is this documented somewhere? I've looked but I can't seem
to find it. If it is, kindly point me in the right direction, I'm not afraid
of reading. :)

Running Sendmail on Centos 4.3
Here's the output of MailScanner -V as it sits today (MailScanner has not
been restarted since I ran the install script so 4.51.6 is still running)

[root at gw-mail install-Clam-0.90.3-SA-3.2.1]# MailScanner -V
Running on
Linux gw-mail 2.6.9-34.EL #1 Wed Mar 8 00:07:35 CST 2006 i686 i686 i386
GNU/Linux
This is CentOS release 4.3 (Final)
This is Perl version 5.008005 (5.8.5)

This is MailScanner version 4.61.7
Module versions are:
1.00    AnyDBM_File
1.16    Archive::Zip
1.03    Carp
1.119   Convert::BinHex
1.00    DirHandle
1.05    Fcntl
2.73    File::Basename
2.08    File::Copy
2.01    FileHandle
1.06    File::Path
0.14    File::Temp
0.90    Filesys::Df
1.35    HTML::Entities
3.56    HTML::Parser
2.37    HTML::TokeParser
1.21    IO
1.10    IO::File
1.123   IO::Pipe
1.71    Mail::Header
1.86    Math::BigInt
3.05    MIME::Base64
5.420   MIME::Decoder
5.420   MIME::Decoder::UU
5.420   MIME::Head
5.420   MIME::Parser
3.03    MIME::QuotedPrint
5.420   MIME::Tools
0.11    Net::CIDR
1.08    POSIX
1.14    Scalar::Util
1.77    Socket
1.4     Sys::Hostname::Long
0.18    Sys::Syslog
1.9707  Time::HiRes
1.02    Time::localtime

Optional module versions are:
1.26    Archive::Tar
0.21    bignum
1.74    Business::ISBN
missing Business::ISBN::Data
0.17    Convert::TNEF
missing Data::Dump
1.810   DB_File
1.13    DBD::SQLite
1.50    DBI
1.08    Digest
1.01    Digest::HMAC
2.33    Digest::MD5
2.10    Digest::SHA1
missing Encode::Detect
missing Error
missing ExtUtils::CBuilder
missing ExtUtils::ParseXS
0.44    Inline
1.06    IO::String
1.04    IO::Zlib
2.20    IP::Country
0.17    Mail::ClamAV
3.001001        Mail::SpamAssassin
missing Mail::SPF
1.997   Mail::SPF::Query
0.19    Math::BigRat
missing Module::Build
0.15    Net::CIDR::Lite
0.48    Net::DNS
missing Net::DNS::Resolver::Programmable
missing Net::LDAP
missing NetAddr::IP
1.94    Parse::RecDescent
missing SAVI
2.42    Test::Harness
0.95    Test::Manifest
1.95    Text::Balanced
1.35    URI
missing version
missing YAML
[root at gw-mail install-Clam-0.90.3-SA-3.2.1]#

TIA!
Kind regards,
Ken

Ken Goods