FW: gofer (stock spam)

donald.dawson at bakerbotts.com donald.dawson at bakerbotts.com
Fri Jul 6 15:38:56 IST 2007

This may have already been addressed, but is there a released rule set
or add-on that would help in identifying these type of stock spam
emails?

We use MailScanner 4.59.4 (MailScanner-v: 3.002000 Mail::SpamAssassin),
SpamAssassin 3.2 (SpamAssassin -V), Perl 5.8.5, DCC, Pyzor.  We run
sa-update and RulesDuJour for automatic updates.

We turned off Razor since it was causing delays in processing mail.

In MailScanner, we turned off SpamHaus since we process too much email -
it appears it was just raising the score of high spam:  'Spam List =
SBL+XBL'

We also use milter-greylist during the hours of 10 PM and 5 AM.  We use
milter-null (snert) to reduce bounce backs.

We receive about 300k emails a day with about 70% identified as spam.
We deliver about 5% of the suspected spam (score below 5).

I am considering adding the botnet plugin from:
http://people.ucsc.edu/~jrudd/spamassassin/Botnet.tar and have added a
fake MX entry.

We use BAYES, but we don't feed spam or ham so it may have little help.

Here are the cf files we use in /etc/mail/spamassassin:

00_FVGT_File001.cf           70_sare_header_eng.cf  70_sare_specific.cf
70_sare_whitelist_rcvd.cf      bakerbotts.cf            popcorn_new.cf
70_sare_adult.cf             70_sare_highrisk.cf    70_sare_spoof.cf
70_sare_whitelist_spf.cf       bogus-virus-warnings.cf  random.cf
70_sare_bayes_poison_nxm.cf  70_sare_html0.cf       70_sare_stocks.cf
70_zmi_german.cf               chickenpox.cf            tripwire.cf
70_sare_evilnum0.cf          70_sare_html_eng.cf    70_sare_unsub.cf
72_sare_bml_post25x.cf         local.cf                 weeds.cf
70_sare_genlsubj0.cf         70_sare_obfu0.cf       70_sare_uri0.cf
72_sare_redirect_post3.0.0.cf  mailscanner.cf
70_sare_genlsubj_eng.cf      70_sare_oem.cf         70_sare_uri_eng.cf
88_FVGT_headers.cf             mangled.cf
70_sare_header0.cf           70_sare_random.cf      70_sare_whitelist.cf
99_sare_fraud_post25x.cf       pdfinfo.cf

plugins from init.pre:

loadplugin Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::URIDNSBL
loadplugin Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::Hashcash
loadplugin Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::SPF
loadplugin Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::DCC
loadplugin Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::Razor2
loadplugin Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::SpamCop
loadplugin Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::AWL
loadplugin Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::AutoLearnThreshold
loadplugin Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::TextCat
loadplugin Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::WhiteListSubject
loadplugin Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::MIMEHeader
loadplugin Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::ReplaceTags
loadplugin Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::PDFInfo

I don't understand why the SA files are loaded into
/var/lib/spamassassin/3.002000... insteada of /usr/share/spamassassin:

/usr/bin/spamassassin -D -p /etc/MailScanner/spam.assassin.prefs.conf
--lint:
[17634] dbg: config: fixed relative path:
/var/lib/spamassassin/3.002000/updates_spamassassin_org/10_default_prefs
.cf
[17634] dbg: config: using
"/var/lib/spamassassin/3.002000/updates_spamassassin_org/10_default_pref
s.cf" for included file

Any input on our configuration would be appreciated - I enjoy this and
the spamassassin forums.

Donald

Donald Dawson
Security Administrator
Baker Botts L.L.P.
713-229-2183

HEADERS:

Microsoft Mail Internet Headers Version 2.0