filename extension problem

Gareth list-mailscanner at linguaphone.com
Thu Jul 5 13:04:34 IST 2007

On Thu, 2007-07-05 at 12:41, jayesh shinde wrote:
> Dear All,
>                  I have one query , I am using MailScanner version
> 4.34.8  on FC2 with sendmail. Some of my users are sending there email
> with an attachments with double or multiple extention ( Ex:--
> my.com.location.doc)
>                 When it goes through MailScanner  for  scanning
> attachment , it give me the following error as :--
>
> #####
>   At Fri Jun 29 18:00:56 2007 the virus scanner said:
>    MailScanner: Attempt to hide real filename extension
> (my.com.location.doc)
> ######

filename.rules.conf contails this line :-

# Deny all other double file extensions. This catches any hidden
filenames.                                deny
\.[a-z][a-z0-9]{2,3}\s*\.[a-z0-9]{3}$   Found possible filename
hiding                          Att
empt to hide real filename extension

This blocks any filename ending with a two or 3 character extension
followed by a 3 character extension. I cant see how this would block the
specific example you gave though.
I am not running the very latest version of mailscanner though so
perhaps yours has been updated.

>                  My queries are :--
> 1) Is  there any way to by pass above such multiple extension mail
> through MailScanner. If yes then where should i define this ruleset &
> how to write this rule for
> single user.

Just remove the section in the file mentioned above.