Filename rule question

Marco Induni minduni at ti-edu.ch
Thu Jul 5 12:55:15 IST 2007

Glenn Steen wrote:
> On 05/07/07, Marco Induni <minduni at ti-edu.ch> wrote:
> (snip)
>> Also tried to use the sample rule filename.rules.conf directly setting
>> the "Filename Rules = %etc-dir%/filename.rules.conf, but nothing.
>>
>> At the end I made one of the two mailgateway reacheble just for me, and
>> set the Mailscanner in debug mode.
>> This the output when a send an email:
>>
>>  >>>>>
>> Ignore errors about failing to find EOCD signature
>> format error: file is too short
>>   at /usr/sbin/MailScanner line 832
>> Stopping now as you are debugging me.
>>  >>>>>

>> At the line 832 seems to be the attachment extraction
>>
>>      831     $0 = 'MailScanner: extracting attachments';
>>      832     $batch->Explode();
> Normally you'd see the EOCD error from that line, which is safe to
> ignore.... This though, I've mostly seen when the attachments really
> have been damaged (bad MIME)... You don't have any "pre-filters" that
> could confuse things, do you?

Glenn,
I'm not sure of the meaning of "pre-filters", but we do just Antivirus
and  + Spamassasin.

>> Could be that for some reason this step fail, and then all the rules
>> tied to the file attachemnet are skipped ?
>>
>> In case i'm using
>>
>> - Mailscanner 4.61.7
>> - Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS release 3 (Taroon Update 9)
>> - Linux 2.4.21-50.EL
>> - Perl 5.8.0
>> - Spamassassin 3.1.9
>
> Could you  give a "MailScanner -V" too? Just in case you have a bum
> perl module or so:-).

Here the output of MailScanner -V

Running on
Linux mg1.ti-edu.ch 2.4.21-47.0.1.ELsmp #1 SMP Fri Oct 13 17:56:20 EDT
2006 i686
  i686 i386 GNU/Linux
This is Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS release 3 (Taroon Update 9)
This is Perl version 5.008000 (5.8.0)

This is MailScanner version 4.61.7
Module versions are:
1.00    AnyDBM_File
1.16    Archive::Zip
1.01    Carp
1.119   Convert::BinHex
1.00    DirHandle
1.04    Fcntl
2.71    File::Basename
2.05    File::Copy
2.01    FileHandle
1.05    File::Path
0.13    File::Temp
0.90    Filesys::Df
1.35    HTML::Entities
3.56    HTML::Parser
2.37    HTML::TokeParser
1.23    IO
1.14    IO::File
1.13    IO::Pipe
1.77    Mail::Header
1.86    Math::BigInt
3.05    MIME::Base64
5.420   MIME::Decoder
5.420   MIME::Decoder::UU
5.420   MIME::Head
5.420   MIME::Parser
3.03    MIME::QuotedPrint
5.420   MIME::Tools
0.11    Net::CIDR
1.05    POSIX
1.09    Scalar::Util
1.75    Socket
1.4     Sys::Hostname::Long
0.18    Sys::Syslog
1.9707  Time::HiRes
1.02    Time::localtime

Optional module versions are:
1.29    Archive::Tar
0.21    bignum
missing Business::ISBN
missing Business::ISBN::Data
0.17    Convert::TNEF
missing Data::Dump
1.815   DB_File
1.13    DBD::SQLite
1.56    DBI
1.15    Digest
1.01    Digest::HMAC
2.36    Digest::MD5
2.11    Digest::SHA1
missing Encode::Detect
missing Error
missing ExtUtils::CBuilder
missing ExtUtils::ParseXS
missing Inline
1.08    IO::String
1.04    IO::Zlib
2.23    IP::Country
missing Mail::ClamAV
3.001009        Mail::SpamAssassin
missing Mail::SPF
1.999001        Mail::SPF::Query
0.19    Math::BigRat
missing Module::Build
0.20    Net::CIDR::Lite
0.60    Net::DNS
missing Net::DNS::Resolver::Programmable
missing Net::LDAP
missing NetAddr::IP
missing Parse::RecDescent
missing SAVI