Wierd question

Chuck Rock carock at epconline.com
Tue Jul 3 20:56:41 IST 2007

The server I need to stop receiving mail is not a relay, but the final
destination POP3 account server. It used to be the MX handler for the
domain, but now the new filter server is.

I needed the final destination POP3 mailbox server to reject mail to a
specific domain from every other IP except the new filter server.

Since the POP3 server was a listed MX handler for the domain, it's in caches
and spammer relay lists for the domain. Once the DNS changes have propagated
and most caches have timed out and refreshed, the only mail for that
specific domain still being sent to the old MX ip is junk.

Since the server is still the final destination POP3 mailbox server, it MUST
receive mail for that domain. I just needed to make sure it was only from
the filter and not just any IP.

Since the server hosts hundreds of other domains, I could not just filter
port 25 traffic, it had to be domain specific.

If you use a prefilter setup like a piece of hardware for spam/av filter for
E-mail, you will get spam and other junk bypassing your filter if the old MX
record for the domain will still accept mail from any address for the
filtered domain.

Chuck