Any advice for a new server?

Chris Yuzik itdept at fractalweb.com
Tue Jul 3 05:20:02 IST 2007

mail wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been running a mail server with sendmail/ MailScanner/ ClamAV/
> Mailman/ Squirrelmail/ combo for the past 7 years.  It is now time to
> migrate my accounts to a brand new server.  I was using Redhat9, but now
> I'm 99% sure that I will go with Gentoo.  I am also 90% sure that I will
> stay with sendmail/ ClamAV/ Squirrelmail and 100% sure to stay with
> MailScanner/ Mailman. I don't have a whole lot of accounts so I do have
> some room to make changes and play around.  Also, I just bought a new
> copy of Julian's book, so I have allot of reading to to!  What I really
> need is the ability to set up pop and web mail services for my clients,
> also I need Mailman lists, and really good spam/ AV filters! Does
> anybody have any advice for somebody starting with a fresh server?

Rick,

I'm not a Slackware user like Res is, but I'm overall happy with Centos.
I've been the Gentoo route, and while compiling small things from source
is fine, having to compile for 12+ hours straight on a production server
is NOT cool, and imho offers little benefit over installing pre-compiled
binaries for your hardware.

By all means, investigate Slackware. Play with Centos. Try another
server-class distro or two. And stick with
MailScanner/ClamAV/Sendmail/MailMan/Squirrelmail. Add in some MailWatch.

And please let us know what you discover.

Cheers,
Chris