OT: building new server, need MTA advice

Steve Freegard steve.freegard at fsl.com
Tue Jan 30 00:43:52 CET 2007

Hi Chris,

Chris Yuzik wrote:
> Peter Russell wrote:
>> Dont forget to mention that postfix cannot and probably never will be
>> able to split emails that are addressed to multiple recipients into
>> multiple queue files, so you the one email can be subject to various
>> rules, depending on who it was addressed to.
> Hmmm. That's interesting. And this is something that Sendmail does now?
> Or does Sendmail need to be hacked to support this?

No hacking required - just a QUEUEGROUP definition (a one-liner).

> I don't think we're really doing any of this now, and am not sure how
> important this feature would be. Anyone else doing this?

If you want per-recipient rules (e.g. spam scores, actions et al.) it is
an absolute requirement.  This splits multiple recipient messages into
multiple messages with a single recipient so that you can apply the
policy chosen by each recipient individually as normally for a multiple
recipient message you would normally have to take the 'default' action.

And to throw my hat into the ring about which MTA I would personally use
if I switched from Sendmail - my choice would be:  Exim.

Reason:  it's easy to configure (like Postfix), can do the above
multi-recipient message splitting (though not quite as elegantly as
Sendmail), but it much more configurable than either Postfix or Sendmail
but without the arcane syntax of Sendmail or the rigidity of the Postfix
configuration.  For example - you could do greylisting natively using
Exim's acl syntax without too much difficulty.  Virtual hosting doesn't
seem too difficult either (as it supports native SQL lookup etc. like
Postfix).

Cheers,
Steve.