SOT: AntiVirus Software

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Fri Jan 26 14:50:50 CET 2007

On 26/01/07, Dimitri Yioulos <dyioulos at firstbhph.com> wrote:
(snip)

> I apologize if I'm taking this post OT, but is anyone using the "free"
> BitDefender console version with MS?  I installed it, and ran MS
> bitdefender-autoupdate, which seemed to work.  But, it's hard to tell if the
> virus signatures were truly updated.  Does anyone know if this is the case?
> Also, must bitdefender be "started"?  If so, how?  And, finally, should
> bitdefender-autoupdate be run as a cron job, or does MS handle that?

I would say that all of us that use bdc (well, pretty close to all ...
at least:-) are using the "free console version".
You do not need run the autoupdate script by hand, it will be run (as
any _installed_ AVs autoupdate-script... Whether it is used is
immaterial, if it's there, MS will update it) by the
update_virus_scanners script that the MS install places into cron
(well, at least for the RPM install, you might need schedule it by
hand on the tarball install, and I imagine the freebsd port to do
something appropriate to that:-).
So... basically there is _no_ setup needed to get updates.
And the update_virus_scanners script/teh autoupdate scripts will log
what it does, and possibly what result (update, no update needed etc)
to your maillog, and possibly some place else... In the case of
ClamAV, there is a file /tmp/ClamAv.update.log (or similar) that you
can look at for details, and for bdc there is
/var/log/bitdefender_updater.log ... And if you want it at a glance,
and use MailWatch there one can look at the Tools page (I don't recall
if one had to add the script for this, or if it is part of 1.0.3 ...
The answer to that is somewhere in the MailWatch mailing list
archives). Hm. Perhaps I should update the bitdefender wiki page with
this info... When I get the time:-).
Enough?

Cheers
--