Problem with MPEG file type

Matt Kettler mkettler at evi-inc.com
Wed Jan 24 21:00:57 CET 2007

Anything using filetype.rules.conf is dependent on the "file" utility on your
server to attempt to identify the actual type of file involved.

The "file" utility works by checking for any one of a series of magic numbers
located in the file. In theory, this should always work correctly. In practice,
it doesn't.

Check the actual attachments from those messages and feed them to the file
command on your server and see what it says about them.

ie:

$file home.tgz
home.tgz: gzip compressed data, from Unix