Clamav with MailScanner on Fedora 6

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Wed Jan 24 13:30:21 CET 2007

On 24/01/07, "Luís Fernando C. Talora" <talora-listas at talora.com.br> wrote:
> Don´t think so... I´m not sure, but I think I´ve misconfigured Clamav
> (in fact, I did nothing on its config files - just left files as they
> came when I made a "yum install clamav*"). On the IRC Channel, someone
> told me I should use the Clamav package posted on the MailScanner
> website. Is that right?
>
> Thanks a lot!
>
> Regards,
>
> Luis Talora

0) Check that what you have in virus.scanner.conf chimes with where
you have clamav installed. By default, MailScanner will look for it in
/usr/local/bin, but your RPM might have put it in /usr/bin ... if so,
amend virus.scanners.conf so that it has only "/usr" in the third
field for the clamscan AV... _OR_ deinstall  the clamav rpm package
(and spamassassin) and use Jules Clam+SA easy-install package, which
will put clamav in the default /usr/local location.

1) What happens when you run clamscan on a file containing EICAR?

2) What happens when you run the clamscan wrapper on the same file?
You need specify a bit more with the wrapper, like:
/usr/lib/MailScanner/clamav-wrapper /usr/local -r --disable-summary
--stdout /path/to/file
where the /usr/local is the third field from virus.scanners.conf
(pointing to where clamav is installed).

Cheers
--
-- Glenn