Greetpause seems very ineffective (Was: RE: Increased Volumes Of Spam)

Dennis Willson taz at taz-mania.com
Sat Jan 20 01:29:40 CET 2007

It's more effecient to use greet pause than RBLs. RBLs take up more
resources, both yours and the RBL providers. Not to mention the
metwork traffic of the RBL query (although not very much most of the
time, I used to host an RBL and if everyone would have reduced their
traffic just a little that would have made a big difference in my
bandwidth usage).

I use greet pause as one of my anti-spam tools and I probably get the
same effectiveness as you... I just consider this as 'free' and a
savings of resources. I actually get one of my biggest improvements
with greylisting (yes this can delay email, users learn to live with
it and it's such a big gain I can't ignore it). Content scanners are
such resource hogs that I do as much as I can prior to scanning the
contents so there are a lot fewer emails to scan.

Doing sender verification (making sure the sending email address is a
real email address) made a surprising difference too.

Hope this helps

Dennis Willson

taz at taz-mania.com
http://www.taz-mania.com

Ham (Extra Class): KA6LSW
GMRS : WQGF680
Scuba: Rescue Diver, EANx, Wreck, Night, Alt,
Equip, UW Photographer, Gas Blender

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of
arriving safely in a nice looking and well preserved body, but rather
to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly
proclaiming, "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!"