Modified /dev/null by MailScanner?

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Tue Jan 16 09:53:33 CET 2007

On 16/01/07, den gon <n3dlinux at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi again to all,
>
> I noticed that when I login on my system using non-root account, its says
> "-bash: /dev/null: Permission denied". I checked it permission and it owned
> by
> root and smmsp. Is it the MailScanner/sendmail process changed it?
>
> "-rw-------    1 root     smmsp       23448 Jan 16 10:35 /dev/null"
>
> admin at server's password:
> Last login: Tue Jan 16 10:10:38 2007 from x.x.x.x
> -bash: /dev/null: Permission denied
> -bash: /dev/null: Permission denied
> -bash: /dev/null: Permission denied
> -bash: /dev/null: Permission denied
> -bash: /dev/null: Permission denied
> -bash: /dev/null: Permission denied
> [admin at server admin]$ su -
> Password:
> [root at server root]#
>
> Regards,
>
> ned

Theoretically, depending on your MailScanner.conf, why... Yes, it
actually might be.
The only one that can check that is you (by reading your configurations;-).
grep for /dev/null in both your MailScanner.conf and your
/etc/mail/spamassassin directories... and see if anything ... pops
out:-).

--
-- Glenn