IP range getting blocked

Res res at ausics.net
Mon Jan 15 22:26:17 CET 2007

On Mon, 15 Jan 2007, Victor DiMichina wrote:

> seen.     However,  this local free provider is blocking 69.17.96.###.   Is
> it just me,  or is that a very "90's"  approach to spam control?      With
> the RBLs as they are today,  as well as tools like Mailscanner,  Spam

It's just you, it's all too easy for someone being malicious to use
multuple ip's, very common and has been for years to take out the /24,
sometimes with problematic (ignorant ISPs) to block there entire range(s).

Blocking /24 or an entire ISP is much easier than having many staff waste
countless hours dealing with support calls from irrate customers who have
been spammed or whatever and abuse section being ignored by said ISP, ie:
comcast, the biggest offenders, far far far worse then AOL ever was.

> Assassin,  DCC,  etc,  doesn't it seem a bit harsh to block entire IP ranges?
> Wouldn't the end customer be the only one to suffer as he/she is not getting
> legitimate e-mail?

What about the thousands and thousands of other users being spammed?

To satisfy 1 we dissatisfy 1000,  hmmm... I don't think so :)
Much rather 999 customers happy and 1 not happy per every thousand
customers.

--
Cheers
Res

"So, you think you can tell Heaven from Hell?" - Roger Waters