IP range getting blocked

Matt Kettler mkettler at evi-inc.com
Mon Jan 15 20:08:00 CET 2007

Victor DiMichina wrote:

> I have a question on certain providers blocking an entire range of IP
> addresses.    We're a small company,  and have our own mail server
> locked down pretty well.   However,  from ONE local ISP,   our mail is
> getting rejected because we fall under a Class B subnet that they choose
> to block.
> We are on 69.17.96.163,   and don't show up in any blacklists that I
> have seen.     However,  this local free provider is blocking
> 69.17.96.###.   Is it just me,  or is that a very "90's"  approach to
> spam control?      With the RBLs as they are today,  as well as tools
> like Mailscanner,  Spam Assassin,  DCC,  etc,  doesn't it seem a bit
> harsh to block entire IP ranges?   Wouldn't the end customer be the only
> one to suffer as he/she is not getting legitimate e-mail?

Odds are they're blocking you for having a PTR record containing ".dsl."

#host 69.17.96.163
163.96.17.69.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer dsl017-096-163.lax1.dsl.speakeasy.net.

If this really is a static-ip'ed mailserver, talk to speakeasy about getting
your PTR records set to match your DNS name of hoshi.pixelmagicfx.com.