Sendmail hijacking Mailscanner

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Mon Jan 15 17:44:13 CET 2007

On 15/01/07, Andy Norris <andy at tireswing.net> wrote:

> We have the same problem. Only we're running Ensim. We've
> back-burnered this for too long, and we need to find out what's
> starting all these rogue instances of sendmail, so I will be watching
> this thread.

(snip)
Ok, it's "faint recollection time" then:-).
I recall looking very briefly at this a while back. Problem with
control panels like ensim is that they want a certain "feel" to the
startup scripts, and (IIRC) wants to start up sendmail in a
"controlized" startup script, and MailScanner in another (or was it
the same? Not the stock one though, from Jules packages, IIRC that
is:-).
So ... things just might be "set to go wrong":-):-). If there isn't a
sizable pause for sendmail to close all children, what happens then?
If the "every 4 hours check_MailScanner" script runs and don't find
the lockfile it expects, what happens then?
If you replace the script as supplied by ensim (for sendmail) with the
MailScanner stock one... Does that do all that ensim wants it to?

I really don't know, I'm just asking the questions you should be
looking for answers to... From my very faint recollections of previous
threads and a very cursory look at some of the panels out there (Yeah,
I suffer from plain ol' RALM (L for Lossy;-)).

Cheers
--
-- Glenn