Best way to use clamav (MTA or MailScanner)

Alex Neuman van der Hans alex at nkpanama.com
Fri Jan 12 21:43:52 CET 2007

Ken A wrote:
> We run both. I have noticed that sometimes MailScanner and clamavmodule
> on a gateway MX will 'miss' a virus that clamav-milter will catch later
> on the mail hub. Not sure what causes this. It's rare though, but worth
> mentioning, I suppose.

I've run both as well ever since the "what goes first, virus or spam
scannning" debate a few years back. Since I wanted to scan a low-traffic
  server's mail for viruses first - since most of the time the unwanted
traffic was, in fact, viruses - and then spam, I installed the
clamav-milter to do this. Saved a lot of time and cpu.

Since spam is more prevalent nowadays (at least in my experience), the
point is no longer valid - but I still run clamav-milter in front of
MailScanner anyways.

Regards,

Alex Neuman
N&K Technology Consultants