Best way to use clamav (MTA or MailScanner)

Ken A ka at pacific.net
Fri Jan 12 07:25:48 CET 2007

den gon wrote:
> Hi To all,
>
> I would like to ask what is the best way to use the clamav. Is it on MTA
> level using
> clamav-milter and disabling it to MailScanner as a redundancy or Is it on
> the MailScanner
> disabling the clamav-milter on MTA and enabling it on MailScanner.conf
> "Virus Scanning =  yes"
> as "Virus Scanners = clamavmodule"

MailScanner runs it as a perl module. The milter version runs it in your
MTA with 'real time' overhead. They both work well, but which is 'right'
depends on if you are installing it on a server that has a fairly
predictable load, or if it's on a server that might need to do some
queueing of incoming mail (at the edge of the network) like a normal
MailScanner box might, so that it can even out the load and still accept
mail when it's under an all too common dictionary attack.

We run both. I have noticed that sometimes MailScanner and clamavmodule
on a gateway MX will 'miss' a virus that clamav-milter will catch later
on the mail hub. Not sure what causes this. It's rare though, but worth
mentioning, I suppose.

Ken A
Pacific.Net