Reject bounce email

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Tue Jan 9 13:52:16 CET 2007

On 09/01/07, Res <res at ausics.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Jan 2007, Gerard Seibert wrote:
>
> > If you are using Postfix, please include the output of: postconf -n as
>
> isn't this more suited to the postfix mailing list, I fail to see what it
> has to do with MailScanner.

Well.... In principle you are of course correct Res, but ... I fail to
see how this differs much from the general off-topicness we usually
manage to harbour when it comes to MTA setup/tweaking (and that goes
for PF, sendmail, milters, statistics etc etc etc).
Had pretty much the same reaction though (I certainly wouldn't want to
see the complete postconf -n, nor more than a small _relevant_ snippet
of the logs:-) when I read Gerard's mail... so maybe we're not that
far apart;-).

As I read this, we're looking at "rightly addressed"
spoof-backscatter, so one would have to look at it for more relevant
details... Some ideas could be gained by a simple google (I found
http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/postfix/2006-06/0649.html
(which builds a bit on Drew's latter suggestion) searching for
"postfix limit backscatter"), as well as implementing the usual UCE PF
things (limiting commands, rejecting things pretending to be sent from
your "inside" etc etc).

I see very little of this kind of thing, with those measures in place:-)

If one is using 2.3 and is feeling adventurous, why not try out
milter-null... Haven't got a clue if it would work:-).

Cheers
--
-- Glenn