MailScanner trying to access all directories under /var/*

Res res at ausics.net
Tue Jan 2 23:48:28 CET 2007

On Wed, 3 Jan 2007, Ananitya wrote:

>> stat64("/var/lock
>> stat64("/var/spool/MailScanner
>> stat64("/var/spool/mqueue
>> connect(7, {sa_family=AF_FILE, path="/var/run/nscd/socket"}
>> stat64("/var/lib/3.001007"
>> stat64("/var/tmp"
>>
>> Nothing that shouldn't be there as far as I can see.
>
> Yeah okay, maybe I would need to rewrite policies of all the helper apps
> {spamassassin, clamav, razor, dcc, postfix) along with MailScanner policy so
> they all can work together more peacefully.

Yup, maybe thats the answer, as it does not try access any other dir under
var, not at least on these systems which are slackware so it's the tarball
version, the RPM does its usual RPM thing and puts things all over the
shop, I hate that, and have not used RPM since I decommisioned my last RH
server a year ago (RH9 was solid and stable but a pain to keep patched
since RH stopped 9 support years ago), tried Fedora server a few times, it
was just not stable enough, but Fedora is not supposed to be stable, it
supposed to be bleeding edge, and sometimes in servers it sure bleeds.

We use Fedora desktops and the first thing I do after an install is get
rid of the red-hat-atised things that shouldn't be butchered by them, so I
know where everything is, I mean if we were meant to have 4 packages to
install EG clamav im sure the good folk at clamav would release it in 4
pkgs and sendmail would release 3 pkgs :) anyway strayed way OT, so if you
have this problem with RPM, let me know and I'll install it on one and
see what it does.

> Anyway thanks for reply.

No problems, one thing though, you could try disable SA and its
user progs and see if the accesses reduce, unless someone else on list
running postfix can do a check for you.

--
Cheers
Res

"So, you think you can tell Heaven from Hell?" - Roger Waters