Happy NW - Not

Ken A ka at pacific.net
Tue Jan 2 20:19:14 CET 2007

Steve Campbell wrote:
> Quoting Ken A <ka at pacific.net>:
>
>> Some of this stuff is pretty short on content, and when it's from a
>> fresh botnet, you pretty much have to write a quick rule to nail that
>> particular spam.
>>
>> body    LOCAL_STOCK_1_PHYA      /(PHYA)/
>> describe        LOCAL_STOCK_1_PHYA      (PHYA) stock spam
>> score   LOCAL_STOCK_1_PHYA      5.5
>>
>> I add these type of rules frequently. :-\
>> And remove them when they stop hitting.
>>
>> Ken A
>> Pacific.Net
>
> I agree here with Ken, except I used
>
> header rulename Subject =~ /Happy NW/i
>
> line in my rules. I figured there might not be many false positives, and do the
> same after it passes. I don't use Razor, or that other stuff. My machines are
> pretty tight on cycles due to BitDefender and ClamAV. A simple reload makes it
> effective right away.

I do use Razor and DCC, but I'm weary of FPs, too many DNS lookups, and
new software in general, so I haven't tried the botnet plugin (yet!).
One or two in a thousand tends to slip through without a specific rule,
and I like to kill ALL spam. :-)

Oh, and Happy NW.. New Wear?.. I dunno.. are spammers really this dumb?

Ken A
Pacific.Net