Happy NW - Not

Steve Campbell campbell at cnpapers.com
Tue Jan 2 20:03:13 CET 2007

Quoting Ken A <ka at pacific.net>:

> Some of this stuff is pretty short on content, and when it's from a
> fresh botnet, you pretty much have to write a quick rule to nail that
> particular spam.
>
> body    LOCAL_STOCK_1_PHYA      /(PHYA)/
> describe        LOCAL_STOCK_1_PHYA      (PHYA) stock spam
> score   LOCAL_STOCK_1_PHYA      5.5
>
> I add these type of rules frequently. :-\
> And remove them when they stop hitting.
>
> Ken A
> Pacific.Net

I agree here with Ken, except I used

header rulename Subject =~ /Happy NW/i

line in my rules. I figured there might not be many false positives, and do the
same after it passes. I don't use Razor, or that other stuff. My machines are
pretty tight on cycles due to BitDefender and ClamAV. A simple reload makes it
effective right away.

Steve Campbell