SpamAssassin local rules

Matt Kettler mkettler at evi-inc.com
Mon Feb 26 23:44:28 CET 2007

John Schmerold wrote:
> Over the week-end, I populated the SpamAssassin local rules file with
> email addresses that tend to get marked as SPAM. These are messages I
> don't want to white list because I suspect they may be used by SPAMMERS.
>
> Anyone else try this? What should I worry about and address?

I use a lot of this kind of thing, although the scores I use are much smaller.
Generally I use them mostly to help me track various kinds of spam activity. I
can just grep my logs for rule hits.

I also use them to disqualify mail with certain phrases from the bayes autolearner.

That said, I see nothing wrong with doing stuff like this, but I would recommend
 giving your rules a "trial run" at scores less than 0.5 for a week, check your
logs, then up the scores if they aren't hitting any nonspam.

> BTW: I get a bunch of SPAM that seems to be harvested from Whois - our
> old street address was Meramec - LOCAL__H_meramec is meant to deal with
> that issue, not sure why, but I also get SPAM with the word manchester
> on the subject line. The Meramec & Manchester spam are the only items
> that consistently come thru our filter.
>
> For the record, here's my
> /etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf
>
> score    LOCAL__geocities    2.2
> score    LOCAL__H_horoscope    3.0
> score    LOCAL__H_meramec    2.0
> score    LOCAL__H_manchester 2.0
> score    LOCAL__H_from_nfib  -2.0
> score    LOCAL__H_from_adweek  -2.0
> score    LOCAL__H_from_woodyswatch  -2.0
>
> body     LOCAL__geocities      /geocities/i
> describe LOCAL__geocities      Includes reference to geocities

Heh, learn something new every day. SA used to not handle things properly if the
score came before the rule.. apparently they changed that.