SpamAssassin local rules

John Schmerold john at katy.com
Mon Feb 26 23:31:30 CET 2007

Over the week-end, I populated the SpamAssassin local rules file with
email addresses that tend to get marked as SPAM. These are messages I
don't want to white list because I suspect they may be used by SPAMMERS.

Anyone else try this? What should I worry about and address?

BTW: I get a bunch of SPAM that seems to be harvested from Whois - our
old street address was Meramec - LOCAL__H_meramec is meant to deal with
that issue, not sure why, but I also get SPAM with the word manchester
on the subject line. The Meramec & Manchester spam are the only items
that consistently come thru our filter.

For the record, here's my
/etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf

score    LOCAL__geocities    2.2
score    LOCAL__H_horoscope    3.0
score    LOCAL__H_meramec    2.0
score    LOCAL__H_manchester 2.0
score    LOCAL__H_from_nfib  -2.0
score    LOCAL__H_from_adweek  -2.0
score    LOCAL__H_from_woodyswatch  -2.0

body     LOCAL__geocities      /geocities/i
describe LOCAL__geocities      Includes reference to geocities

header   LOCAL__H_horoscope       Subject =~ /horoscope/i
describe LOCAL__H_horoscope       horoscope in Subject

header   LOCAL__H_meramec       Subject =~ /meramec/i
describe LOCAL__H_meramec       meramec in Subject

header   LOCAL__H_manchester    Subject =~ /manchester/i
describe LOCAL__H_manchester    manchester in Subject

header   LOCAL__H_from_nfib     From =~ /nfib\.org/i
describe LOCAL__H_from_nfib     NFIB newsletters

header   LOCAL__H_from_adweek     From =~ /adweek\.com/i
describe LOCAL__H_from_adweek     adweek newsletters

header   LOCAL__H_from_woodyswatch     From =~ /woodyswatch\.com/i
describe LOCAL__H_from_woodyswatch     woodyswatch newsletters