New Mail::ClamAV Version

Eric Hoeve ebhoeve-ms at ehoeve.com
Thu Feb 22 21:46:45 CET 2007

James Fagan wrote:

>> Just asking, but... is it ok to download/compile/install the latest
> zlib
>> from zlib.net? I know most bugfixes have been backported to whatever
>> version of zlib ships with RHEL4 and its clones, but I'd like to know
> if
>> there's anything I should look out for.
>

> I have done this before. From what I recall, there were no problems. I
> forgot why the zlib package reports some version error, but I think it
> was a mistake. Try on a test server to yum remove zlib, then build from
> source. The only thing is this will be a package that you will have to
> update manualy in case of security/enhancements/changes.

Alex,

I know it is tempting to install the latest versions of various pieces
of software, but I would advise against it unless you have a compeling
reason for a particular version. It also requires you to maintain that
software on your own as James noted.

As new versions come out, and old APIs become deprecated it has a
tendency to break things. Thats why many distros backport fixes.

-Eric